Sunshine Committee Lead
Anita Kaiser: J810, email@example.com, 3-5233
The EBMA Sunshine Committee is here to spread sunshine to EBMA members who are either hospitalized, out of work due to a serious illness or injury, suffer a death in their immediate family or when an EBMA member passes away. Upon receiving the information, the EBMA Sunshine Committee will take the appropriate action.
- Sympathy cards are sent to EBMA members who have lost a member of their immediate family.
- When an EBMA member passes away, a donation is made to a charity listed in the member’s obituary, with an acknowledgement being sent to the member’s family.
- A ‘get well soon’ card is sent to an EBMA member out of work for an extended period of time due to a lengthy illness, same-day surgery or for an injury which did not require an overnight hospital stay.
- For overnight (or longer) hospital stays of an EBMA member, a fruit basket from Sandy’s in Westerly is sent to the member once they arrive back at home.
- To be eligible to receive a fruit basket, the EBMA Sunshine Committee is notified that an EBMA member in good standing—one who has been a member for at least 12 months—has experienced an overnight hospital stay (or multiple overnights). Upon receiving the information, the committee is authorized to send a fruit basket upon the member’s return home – once in each 12 months. On rare occasions, a fruit basket can be sent to a member who will have an extended stay in a rehab facility while they heal, provided the fruit basket is sent to their home address for a family member, friend or other EBMA member to bring to them in the rehab center. The EBMA Sunshine Committee does not send any fruit baskets to any of the hospitals. As a note, many of our EBMA members who experience hospital stays and then will be out of work for an extended period of time will normally receive their fruit basket within the first week after they return home so they are more able to enjoy it.
The EBMA Sunshine Committee is only as good as its members. EBMA members should inform the EBMA Sunshine Committee of any of the above occasions, but the information can come from a co-worker, a family member or from the member(s) themselves. The committee does not normally know about these circumstances unless someone informs them. Email is the preferred method of contact so there is a record, but phone calls are also welcomed.